This class is for you if….
- You find yourself frequently struggling with emotions that seem out of control.
- You find that once strong negative emotions start, you are unable to calm down.
- Your emotions seem to be hurting people around you.
- Your feelings get in the way of you doing the things you know you need to do because you are mood dependent.
- You feel like a robot who has no emotions.
- You think emotions are bad.
- People you have a close relationship with tell you that you can’t understand their emotions.
- You lack empathy and attunement toward the people you are in relationship with.
- You have a close relationship with someone whose negative emotions escalate quickly.
- You know what you should do and how you want to act, but cannot seem to do it.
What will we learn and practice?
- We will learn the purpose of emotions as God has designed them;
- We will learn that God has created us with needs that can only be met in relationship with other people.
- We will learn how to attend to the emotional needs of others.
- We will learn and practice extensive problem solving skills relating to emotion regulation.
- We will learn how to live mindfully instead of mindlessly.
- We will learn distress tolerance.
How does this class work?
This is a skills-based, group class. Together we will learn and practice specific skills relating to mindfulness, distress tolerance, interpersonal relationships, and emotion regulation. Participants are asked to commit to efforts aimed at weekly practice and a small amount of reflection homework that should take between 5-20 minutes per week. Each week in class, participants share with the group about homework practice and then a new concept is taught.
The course is a two hour class in 25 sessions.
Worksheets and handouts will be provided; participants should bring something to write with and a three-ring binder.
Books and Fees?
Prior to the first session, each participant will need to purchase DBT Skills Training Handouts and Worksheets, Second Edition by Marsha Lineman ISBN-13: 978-1572307810. This edition required.
There is also a $5 copy/print fee payable at the first session.
How to sign up?
Class size is limited to 17. Sign up online at https://www.discoverchristchurch.com/resources/counseling-ec. Attend an introductory meeting on Mon. July 30 @ 7 PM OR Sun. Aug 5 @ 5PM.
When and Where?
7 P.M. Monday evenings per semester schedule.
Christ Church of Central Arkansas
9732 Maumelle Blvd
North Little Rock, AR 72113
(next to Fuller and Sons)
Who leads EC?
The class is led by Andrea Lowry under the counseling ministry of Christ Church of Central Arkansas and with the guidance of Chris Perry. For more info contact Andrea Lowry: email@example.com or text 501-366-4771.
No childcare is provided for EC.